Friday, March 14, 2008

Running: Delavan Half Marathon and a fun workout

Last Sunday I ran the Delavan Frostbite Classic in a time of 1:17:05 to finish 4th overall and 1st in my age group. I went to the race with several guys that I run with and then ran through 10 miles with my training partner Harley. You can see the two of us together in a classic picture here. We ran the first 6 miles right on 6:00 pace and then dropped down into the 5:40's. I stayed there through the end while Harley dropped into the 5:30's for the last few miles. We trained through the race doing a high volume week and warming up 3 and cooling down 5 to get in 21 miles for the day, so I was quite pleased with the run.

On Tuesday this week, we wanted to get in some kind of speed work, but also wanted to recover adequately from the half marathon. So the group of 7 guys went out to the outdoor track (the first Tuesday in 2 months with suitable enough weather to do speedwork outside!) to do 12 quarters with a 200 meter jog in between (Harley and I tacked on an extra four intervals to make it 16). To spice things up, we added the following workout:

Before the interval, you had to call your split (Harley and I called 74 every time). Then you had to run the interval without looking at your watch at all. After you stopped your watch, if you hit your split exactly to the 1/100th of a second (eg 1:14.00), everybody had to buy you a beer (meaning you'd get a 6-pack). Everybody was all over the place on the first couple, but then we settled into the groove and Harley and I were hitting within a tenth almost every time. On one of mine, I ran 1:13.99! It was so funny because the odds are incredibly slim, but you'd get SO close and everybody would freak out. It was really fun. We decided early on that if nobody hit the pot by the 12th one, we'd do sudden death. We had a big gust of wind on the 12th one so it was really hard to judge the pace, so Pat ended up winning a 6-pack by only running within 0.3 of his called split because everybody else had one of their worst efforts.

No comments: