Friday, February 29, 2008

Chicago Marathon

Last night, I registered for the 2008 Chicago Marathon. It will be my 4th marathon following this April's Boston and will be the first time that I've done two marathons in a year. I went ahead and registered since it always fills up early and was already to half capacity, even though the race isn't until October.

On Monday, it will be just 7 weeks until the Boston Marathon. I've done at least 11 consecutive weeks at 50+ miles (okay, technically 48+). Last week was 65 with a 22 mile long run. The long run was a fun one too, because my training partner, Harley, and I ran down to the village of Philo ("The Center of the Universe" according to their water tower) and stopped by the house of a guy from our running group who gave us water and a 2 mile running tour of Philo. We've also been doing some really good quality workouts. One of these days, I'll get around to putting my running log online once I find a suitable venue for it. I already keep it electronically with SportTracks.

I've also been coveting the new Garmin Forerunner 405 ever since it was announced (supposedly, they'll start selling it at the Boston Marathon). I've got the Forerunner 301 and while I love it, I don't like that I have to wait on it to sync up. At home, not a problem because I throw it in the window and it's ready to go by the time I'm dressed and ready to run. But I run most days from work and I work in a laser lab and the watch can't pick up a signal even from inside the doors of my monstrosity of a building. In the really cold Illinois winter, I simply don't wait on it to sync and it won't sync while I'm running or at least a couple of miles in (it's much faster at acquiring satellites when I'm standing still), so I always have to adjust the data that it downloads to my computer.

The primary reason I want a newer one of these things is that they have better accuracy and they acquire satellites faster. Now that they have this new one that's the size of a normal watch and has a week of battery life when the GPS receiver isn't on (and since I broke my regular watch), it's tempting to sell my current one and pick up one of these. Of course, for about $40, I could just buy a new regular watch as well and keep running with my 301.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lori Northcraft said...

hmm...my tech-y friend, let me know if you end up upgrading (haha, like the bike pump; I end up with "greg" hand-me-downs).

Kristen said...

I think you should spring for the new Garmin! Why not? You only live once. I'm actually jealous that you have the Forerunner 301. I've been eyeing those for awhile, but never broke down and bought one. I guess when I get more serious about running, I'll consider it then. I ran into your Dad at SCR today, and he gave me your blog url. Hope things are going well...looks like they are! Herbert misses you! lol.