Sunday, June 10, 2007

Triathlon Win

This morning, I picked up my Ph.D. advisor at 5:10am and we drove south to Lake Shelbyville for the Wolf Creek State Park triathlon, which was a sprint of 0.25 mile swim, 10 mile bike, and 3 mile run. I was the 35th male out of the water, but I managed to win the triathlon. I finally ended my streak of having the fastest run (someone ran 2 seconds faster than me), but I'll happily trade that in for the overall win. I didn't take the lead until the last 600 meters and had to work really hard on the run to do it. I biked almost 2 mph faster than the last triathlon I did since I've spent a fair amount of time on the bike (still not enough, though), but I literally haven't swum a stroke since my last triathlon and think I could take a lot of time off there. My advisor also raced very well; he was in 2nd place coming off the bike (after having averaged 25.1 mph...smoking fast, but he is a competitive cyclist). We'll have to work on his running so that he can hold off a few more people, especially since the 40-45 age group is so competitive.
The complete results can be found here, which includes all splits for the race (note that I'm not yet 26, but for USAT, your age is that at the end of the calendar year).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations to you Greg! I'm so proud of you for winning the triathlon! :)
Judy

Lori said...

You seem to have forgotten swimming at Land Between the Lakes! That counts, right? Good job on your win. :) -Lori

Jen said...

Congrats, Bro!