Friday, March 02, 2007

Critics denounce Pizza Hut reading program - CNN.com

Critics denounce Pizza Hut reading program - CNN.com

This is ridiculous. I took part in Book It when I was a kid and amazingly I'm not obese, I haven't been cornered by corporate America (I've eaten at Pizza Hut twice in the past 5 years that I can remember), and I still read books--lots of them!--without extrinsic rewards.

I remember getting certificates and the pins with stickers that we would fill up and the classroom poster with our individual and class goals for reading. Sure, an excess of extrinsic rewards does little to develop intrinsic motivation, but when used judiciously, they can be effective at helping students learn to set and achieve goals.

I'm no fan of loads of junk food in schools; the high school where I taught could have eliminated countless problems by simply unplugging the vending machines during class hours and it made me sick to do lunch duty and see kids eating a bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos with nacho cheese and a Coke for lunch. It's hard to fight that stuff, though, because it's a cash cow. Trying to drive out all corporate influence in schools is a little over the top, especially when the program actually does good for our students. Plus, our country needs people--corporate and otherwise--recognizing the need for investment in education.

I don't even really like Pizza Hut that much, but this article makes me want to go buy some of their pizza. I'm off to read a book in bed....

1 comment:

Sandra Cookie said...

This is a song we used to sing in Girl Scouts:
"A Pizza Hut, a Pizza Hut!
Kentucky Fried Chicken & a Pizza Hut!
McDonalds!
McDonalds!
Kentucky Fried Chicken & a Pizza Hut!"
It had hand motions, too. And then on top of that we sold fattening cookies. Yeah, I think some people make too big a deal of certain aspects of childhood obesity and child exposure to corporate influence.