Sunday, July 09, 2006

China

I've been in China for the past several weeks and head back to the US in two days. It's been an incredible trip. I met my childhood friend Sarah in Beijing, where she's just moved. I did all of the sites there including the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, Tinanmen Square, the Summer Palace, the Lama Temple, the Temple of Heaven, and saw an acrobatics show (which was amazing). Then we took the train to Shanghai where we went to what I believe is the world's highest bar (on the 87th floor of the world's 4th tallest building, the Jin Mao tower). We also took a side trip out to the water town of Zhouzhuang. Then we took the 28 hour train to Guilin and went down to Yangshuo, where my mom taught English last year, which is a town surrounded by beautiful karst rock peaks. We spent several days in Yangshuo, including the 4th of July for which we bought huge fireworks you could never buy in the US and set them off over the Li river. From there, Sarah headed back to Beijing, while I flew to Lijiang in Yunnan province. I met up with Melissa (TFA) and her friend Laura in Lijiang for a few hours while we crossed paths. The next day, I went up to Tiger Leaping Gorge, where I fast-packed (trail ran/walked) most of the gorge. I stayed the night in the Halfway Guest House with an incredible view from the squat toilets. The picture here is of me running in the gorge, which is one of the deepest in the world. Then I headed to Dali for a night, where I had the best food I've eaten in China at a Tibetan feast that I stumbled onto as I checked into Jim's Guesthouse and Tibetan Peace Cafe. After a bike ride in Dali the next day, I took the overnight train to Kunming where I am right now, waiting to catch a plane back to Beijing, where I'll spend one more day before I head back to the US.

It's been an incredible trip and I've met amazing people from all over the world. I'll post the rest of my pictures when I'm on a computer that has buttons that are not in Chinese characters.

1 comment:

Ben said...

This picture is awesome! Sounds like a great trip Greg.