Sunday, April 30, 2006

Corpus Christi Tri 2006

I am officially addicted to triathlon. I competed in my first today and it was a fabulous experience. It was a 1K swim, 30K bike, and 5K run on the beautiful beachfront in Corpus Christi, Texas. We started into the unexpectedly calm, 77 degree water as the sun rose over the bay. I struggled the first couple of hundred meters to get into a relaxed breathing and stroking pattern--what with getting kicked in the head and all--but by the turn-around, I was swimming like I trained. I felt good about my first competitive swim ever, coming in in 16:49. On the bike, I averaged just over 20 mph, which was pretty good considering the little bit of biking that I've done recently. Biking is definitely where I can make the biggest improvement in my triathlon and become very competitve. I was the fastest solo athlete in the race in the 5k, putting down an 18:27 at the end of the day, so that was good. I finished second in my age group (they put me as 25 since I'll be 25 by the end of the year), but I would have gotten 2nd in the 20-24 age group as well. I competed with the Rio tri club: Alan, Tyler, and Melissa from the west valley and we had a really nice time in Corpus. You can check out the full
results here. I'll have pictures soon.

No comments: